This week was an emotional one for many of you. Thank you for your efforts–especially Lauren, Kannon, Laws, Tyson, and Chad.
As you know by now, we decided as a leadership team to sell the Bluffdale gym back to Emily and Dan Adamson (founders of CrossFit the Point). While the details of this transaction should remain private, I think it’s important for you to know some basics.
Here’s a brief timeline of how things unfolded:
- In September of last year, Dan reached out to us looking for an operating partner. He was burned out of running a gym and wanted RxFIT to come in and manage CrossFit The Point.
- In November, we finalized a deal that made RxFIT the operating partner. Our job was to come in and professionalize the coaching, update the equipment and layout, equalize pricing for the members, and cut off unprofitable programs.
- After on-ramping the gym to Level Method/Chalk It Pro, Dan caught our vision and wanted to join as the one who oversaw events and retail. While I didn’t ask him to quit his 9-5 day job, I was excited to have him run Fitcon and other local competitions.
- Sometime after the RxFIT Open Throwdown, we finalized an “Option to Buy” Agreement. This gave RxFIT the right to buy Dan completely out of CrossFit The Point. It was set to expire on May 11.
- As that date got closer, Dan decided to resign as head of events/retail and pursue a career in Real Estate. Members in Bluffdale became curious about what was happening behind-the-scenes and grew uneasy. Until this day, I still can’t put my finger on exactly what happened–but large groups of members began to leave the gym.
- As a leadership team, we spared no effort in meeting with members and trying to resolve internal conflicts. After almost two months of this, Lauren and Kannon came into a meeting exhausted. I could not only see it in their faces but feel it in their words. After listening to them, we could only see two paths forward: go all-in and buy the gym before May 11th, or call Dan and sell it back.
- After lengthy conversations and a long weekend, we decided it was best for the future of RxFIT to sell the gym back.
- The sell-back agreement was finalized on Tuesday, May 3rd. Today is our last day in Bluffdale before Dan and Emily resume ownership tomorrow, May 8th.
Hopefully this is received objectively, without emotion. I just wanted to give you more clarity as to why we made this decision. I also recognize that this affects more people than the few who were involved in the discussions. Unfortunately, this means that coaches like Krishelle, Leslie, and Zach will officially be leaving our team. It also places Chad in a predicament with his weightlifting program.
Regardless of the narrative that is relayed to members, or the short-term hit on RxFIT’s reputation, I’m confident that this decision sets us up even better for the future. Before the end of the year, we have plans of opening two more locations.
While the exact locations and dates are still to be determined, we hope to finish the year with seven gyms, adding one in Lehi/American Fork and another in Salt Lake. This will mean that we can offer at least two more full-time positions as managers before Christmas.
First, Happy Mother’s Day tomorrow to Miranda, Rilee, Tyre, Sierra, Cheryl, Jamie, Emily, and Kim! I’m grateful for each of you and believe you all are amazing!
Second, here’s a summary of what you need to know for the week ahead:
Ryan (physical therapist in South Jordan) is planning on doing two different “Lift and Learn” seminars for all RxFIT members. These will be free to the public and just under an hour long.
- Tuesday, May 10th at 6:30 p.m. @ RxFIT-Orem.
- Saturday, May 14th at 7:00 a.m. @ RxFIT-South Jordan.
Also, we have three events coming up. Please announce these three events at the beginning and end of your classes every day.
- Utah’s Super Meet will be on May 21st at CrossFit The Point (old Bluffdale gym).
- Murph will be Saturday, May 28th at RxFIT-Springville (7:30 a.m./8:30 a.m./9:30 a.m.) and Monday, May 30th at RxFIT-South Jordan (8:00 a.m./9:15 a.m.) and RxFIT-Holladay (7:00 a.m./8:30 a.m.). Bring your family and friends to whichever of these three gyms you live closest to. Free fruit, pancakes, orange juice, chocolate milk, and more will be provided.
- Metcon Mania will be on Friday, June 10 at RxFIT-Orem.
The future is bright! Thank you for being apart of RxFIT.